Friday, July 12, 2013

Courting Kathryn Paige Beal

My wonderful wife started a blog and encouraged me to read it.  As interesting and wonderful as it is, I find myself missing out on some of the details she has forgotten, so I am going to also tell the same story, but from a different point of view.  I hope you enjoy it.

1: The Bonfire

There was once this ambitious Freshman at college that wanted to be a Chemical Engineer, he was in advanced chemistry until he realized that he hated chemistry, so he quickly switched to the lower level chemistry class.  It was the best decision I (Garrett Facer) have ever made.  At first the move to the different class was uneventful, I moved from one class of 250 to another class of 250.  It was an easier class though, so I was relieved.  

I am the quiet type when it comes to school, and interacting with my peers.  I don't make friends at school, I go to school to get my education.  That's how I was in high school, and I figured it would work in college too.  The only problem with that, however, is the fact that the only girls I were dating were in my ward (a ward is a church congregation, I'm not crazy), and honestly dating in the ward is like peeing in the pool.  Its all warm and great at first, but then you realize your just sitting in your waste, and the more you do it, it just gets worse......  

So I got out of the pool, washed myself off, and started trying to meet girls at school.  One morning I was feeling particularly good about myself, and when I showed up to chemistry I sat on an empty row.  I told myself that a girl was going to sit on either side of me.  Well I was right, and strangely enough there was this one girl, who had the courage to sit right next to me when the row was still empty.  That is like peeing in the urinal right next to another guy when you have enough room for a 1 urinal gap, you just don't do it.  You won't ever hear me complain though.  Class was good, and we talked, and I figured I wouldn't see her again; however I was wrong.  We continued to sit next to each other, and I noticed how kind she was to everyone around her, how her eyes would change color in the light, how she had a pretty smile, how easy it was to talk to her, and how she had a slight tinge of red in her hair, that I really miss now that she has colored it....:(

We continued sit next to each other, and then we began studying together right after class (which was not my style of studying, and I think Katie knows now that I can't study in groups, I need to figure things out on my own).  I enjoyed our time together, and broke up with my girlfriend shortly after Katie and I started talking, because once you have found that treasure in the field, you sell everything you have and purchase that field.  To be honest with myself though, I was very guarded, and did not fully invest for a while.  I just got rid of my baggage. So with that taken care of, and waiting a courtesy week for my ex, I asked Katie if she wanted to go to a bonfire.  I got her number, and Wamo!  thats how it started.  

I picked her up on a Thursday night, and she brought her two roommates as wingmen.  I also had my favorite wingman, Martin, my cousin that lived in my grandparents basement with me at the time.  My kids will probably just call him Uncle Martin, even though were second cousins or whatever we are.  Anyway, we got to the bonfire, and we were sitting there for a while when Martin and I wanted to head over to the creamery to get some starbursts to roast.  When we got back Katie was on the other side of the fire, and was getting flirted with pretty heavily, so Martin and I ate Starbursts and talked with other people.  Awesome first hangout! Right?

We also did get Slurpees from 7-11 after, but I honestly don't remember much about that, except that Katie and all her roommates conveniently  forgot their wallets so I had to pay for everyone.  I didn't mind though. After Slurpees we dropped them off, and Martin and I went back home, and most likely played Halo 4 or watched a movie until some ridiculous hour.  I don't know why but Thursday nights roll around, and I stay up late, that's just how it is.   Well that's all folks!! 

2 comments:

  1. Garrett, you wouldn't think me facetious if I commented, "How romantic," would you? Especially after just reading Katie's full narrative (segments 1-6, anyway). At any rate, this account is believable, given that it is given from a man's perspective. I can't wait to see where this is going to go from here.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. You guys are funny. I'm enjoying myself thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete