Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Crayon Art

To be completely honest, I thought that Crayon Art should be chapter 3 of the Facer Adventures.  I will listen to my wife's council though, and write as though it happened before our first real date.  It may have been, but I don't think so.  I do remember that the whole Crayon art thing was last minute though.

It will become evident as Katie and I share our experiences that Martin (my cousin) played a pretty big role in our relationship.  He didn't really influence with advice, but he made it possible for me (and Katie I think)  to keep my identity.  Often when two people date as quickly and as serious as we did,  you see them lose their personal interests.  Over time this will create a problem in relationships, and a once awesome relationship becomes poisened and dies.  

One night Martin told me that he was going to hang out with some girls he met while on his two year mission trip.  I agreed to come and I think that while we were on our way I invited Katie, and we picked her up.  We got to the girls' apartment, and quite honestly sat there for a while.  This gave me ample time to compair Katie to these other girls, and think in my mind.  "Katie wins, hands down, Martin can do better".   I texted Martin at one point and we were trying to think of a way to get out when someone had the idea that we should make some crayon art.  Now I'm not talking about your typical 3 year old drawing, but using a hair dryer to melt the crayons on some canvis. 

Now anyone who knows me, knows that I am a very competative person.  Im sure people can tell that I'm competative even when I am trying not to be.  I Just know what I am capable of, and that I have been very blessed by my Heavenly Father.  I can do pretty much anything.  

This is important to the story because Katie is amazing at anything she touches.  Well art is no exception to that statement.  I always have thought I was pretty creative with art, not the best skilled wise, but original.  So I obviously thought that I would impress Katie with my art skills.  It only took a few minutes for me to determine that I'd better just accept defeat.  Katie was way out of my league.  In my defence, to this point I barely knew the girl, she was still on BYU's Lacross team, she was gorgeous, and a way better person than I could dream of being (she still is all these things of course).

We had a fun night, and even though I though she was out of my league, Katie always made me feel like a million bucks.  It is the attribute I love most about her.  She is kind, and never makes people feel bad.  To this day, it is litterally impossible to be sad around Katie.  I decided after this date that I was not going to stop talking with this girl, and I was going to date her.  I honestly had memories of my mission president talking about sparrows. It was one of his lifes phillosophies. In the winter a sparrow must eat 4 times his body weight per day in order to survive.  In that situation there is no coming home at the end of the day saying, "oh well, I tried".  In stead of eating, I needed to make this woman impressed and interested more and more every day.  I had no other option, or I was going to end up on the side of the road in no time.

So, I sent Katie a text at the end of the night.

"you looked beautiful tonight"

No comments:

Post a Comment